A-RAF is a member of the RAF family of serine/threonine protein kinases comprising A-RAF B-RAF and RAF-1. In 1983 and 1986, the viral homologues of RAF were isolated during experiments with the aim to identify novel transforming genes. Viral RAF (v-RAF) homologus were encountered in two different viruses, the avian retrovirus Mill Hill 2 (MH2) and the murine sarcoma virus (MSV) 3611. While MH2 was isolated from a spontaneous chicken ovarian tumor, 3611-MSV was isolated from a mouse with lymphoma and lung adenocarcinoma. The name RAF derives from the observation that 3611-MSV increased the induction of fibrosarcoma in newborn NSF/N mice (rapidly accelerated fibrosarcoma, or RAF). These v-RAF genes originate from the mammalian proto-oncogene RAF-1 (or C-RAF) having incorporated the truncated CRAF kinase domain due to...
- We apologize to all the colleagues, whose work, for reasons of space, could not be cited in this review.Google Scholar
- Baljuls A, Mueller T, Drexler H, Hekman M, Rapp U. Unique N-region determines low basal activity and limited inducibility of A-RAF kinase: the role of N-region in the evolutionary divergence of RAF kinase function in vertebrates. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:26575–90. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M702429200.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Baljuls A, Schmitz W, Mueller T, Zahedi R, Sickmann A, Hekman M, et al. Positive regulation of A-RAF by phosphorylation of isoform-specific hinge segment and identification of novel phosphorylation sites. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:27239–54. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M801782200.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Liu L, Channavajhala P, Rao V, Moutsatsos I, Wu L, Zhang Y, et al. Proteomic characterization of the dynamic KSR-2 interactome, a signaling scaffold complex in MAPK pathway. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1794:1485–95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbapap.2009.06.016.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Rauch J, O’Neill E, Mack B, Matthias C, Munz M, Kolch W, et al. Heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein H blocks MST2-mediated apoptosis in cancer cells by regulating A-Raf transcription. Cancer Res. 2010;70:1679–88. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-2740.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Shilo A, Ben Hur V, Denichenko P, Stein I, Pikarsky E, Rauch J, et al. Splicing factor hnRNP A2 activates the Ras-MAPK-ERK pathway by controlling A-Raf splicing in hepatocellular carcinoma development. RNA. 2014;20:505–15. https://doi.org/10.1261/rna.042259.113.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar