Glucose-Dependent Insulinotropic Polypeptide Receptor (GIPR)
Way back in 1900, duodenal mucous extract was shown to inhibit gastric acid secretion. It was in 1930 that Kosaka and Lim observed that intravenous infusion of intestinal extracts led to inhibition of gastric acid secretion and gastric emptying; the term “enterogastrone” was subsequently floated (Kosaka and Lim 1930; Meier et al. 2002). Brown and coworkers purified this extract to homogeneity and reported the amino acid sequence of this newly found hormone naming it as “Gastric Inhibitory Polypeptide” (GIP) since the latter also inhibited gastric acid secretion. In parallel, Moore and coworkers had for the first time (1906) found antidiabetogenic effect of duodenal mucous membrane extract (Moore 1906). The development of immunoassay for insulin in 1960 revealed that the duodenal extract stimulated secretion of insulin from pancreas in humans. It was also observed that orally administered glucose instigated higher...
- Amiranoff B, Couvineau A, Vauclin-Jacques N, Laburthe M. Gastric inhibitory polypeptide receptor in hamster pancreatic beta cells. Direct cross-linking, solubilization and characterization as a glycoprotein. Eur J Biochem. 1986;159:353–8. doi:10.1111/j.1432-1033.1986.tb09875.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gremlich S, Porret A, Hani EH, Cherif D, Vionnet N, Froguel P, Thorens B. Cloning, functional expression, and chromosomal localization of the human pancreatic islet glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide receptor. Diabetes. 1995;44:1202–8. doi:10.2337/diabetes.44.10.1202.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim SJ, Winter K, Nian C, Tsuneoka M, Koda Y, McIntosh CH. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP) stimulation of pancreatic beta-cell survival is dependent upon phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase (PI3K)/protein kinase B (PKB) signaling, inactivation of the forkhead transcription factor Foxo1, and down-regulation of bax expression. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:22297–307. doi:10.1074/jbc.M500540200.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim SJ, Nian C, Widenmaier S, McIntosh CH. Glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide-mediated up-regulation of beta-cell antiapoptotic Bcl-2 gene expression is coordinated by cyclic AMP (cAMP) response element binding protein (CREB) and cAMP-responsive CREB coactivator 2. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:1644–56. doi:10.1128/MCB.00325-07.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Parthier C, Kleinschmidt M, Neumann P, Rudolph R, Manhart S, Schlenzig D, Fanghanel J, Rahfeld JU, Demuth HU, Stubbs MT. Crystal structure of the incretin-bound extracellular domain of a G protein-coupled receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2007;104:13942–7. doi:10.1073/pnas.0706404104.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar