Interleukin-13 Receptor Subunit Alpha-2 (IL-13Rα2)
Interleukin (IL)-13 is an immune regulatory cytokine that plays an important role in allergy and atopic diseases (Hershey 2003; Karp 2004). It has two receptors, IL-13 receptor (IL-13R)α1 and IL-13Rα2. IL-13Rα1 monomer binds IL-13 with low affinity and mediates IL-13 cellular functions by pairing with IL-4 receptor (IL-4R)α. The IL-13 binding to IL-13Rα1/IL-4Rα heterodimer leads to activation of signal transducer and activator transcription (STAT)6 by Janus kinases (JAKs) (Miloux et al. 1997). IL-13Rα2 binds to IL-13 with high affinity but doesn’t mediate IL-13 cellular functions due to having a short cytoplasmic tail and no signaling motifs in it (Donaldson et al. 1998). The cDNA for IL-13Rα2 has first been isolated from human renal carcinoma cell lines. In 1996,...
- Gonzalez-Moreno O, Calvo A, Joshi BH, Abasolo I, Leland P, Wang Z, Montuenga L, Puri RK, Green JE. Gene expression profiling identifies IL-13 receptor alpha 2 chain as a therapeutic target in prostate tumor cells overexpressing adrenomedullin. Int J Cancer. 2005;114:870–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- He CH, Lee CG, Dela Cruz CS, Lee C-M, Zhou Y, Ahangari F, Ma B, Herzog EL, Rosenberg SA, Li Y, Nour AM, Parikh CR, Schmidt I, Modis Y, Cantley L, Elias JA. Chitinase 3-like 1 regulates cellular and tissue responses via IL-13 receptor α2. Cell Rep. 2013;4:830–41.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mentink-Kane MM, Cheever AW, Thompson RW, Hari DM, Kabatereine NB, Vennervald BJ, Ouma JH, Mwatha JK, Jones FM, Donaldson DD, Grusby MJ, Dunne DW, Wynn TA. IL-13 receptor α 2 down-modulates granulomatous inflammation and prolongs host survival in schistosomiasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:586–90.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Puri R, Leland P, Obiri N, Husain S, Kreitman R, Haas G, Pastan I, Debinski W. Targeting of interleukin-13 receptor on human renal cell carcinoma cells by a recombinant chimeric protein composed of interleukin-13 and a truncated form of pseudomonas exotoxin A (PE38QQR). Blood. 1996;87:4333–9.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zhang J-G, Hilton DJ, Willson TA, McFarlane C, Roberts BA, Moritz RL, Simpson RJ, Alexander WS, Metcalf D, Nicola NA. Identification, purification, and characterization of a soluble interleukin (IL)-13-binding protein: evidence that it is distinct from the cloned IL-13 receptor and IL-4 receptor α-chains. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:9474–80.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar