Developments in the Postsecondary Education Niche in South Africa
This chapter focuses on recent developments regarding policy in the Technical and Vocational Education and Training College Sector in South Africa, in the South African postsecondary education niche. The term “postsecondary education” is first clarified, and the present state of research on this niche in education is surveyed. Subsequently the national contextual forces shaping education in South Africa are portrayed. The education system is then explained, followed by an exploration and evaluation of recent developments in the postsecondary education sector in the country.
KeywordsAccess to educaiton NEETS (Neither in Employment nor in Education and Training) Post-Secondary Education South Africa Technical and Vocational Education and Training Colleges
- Andres, Lesley. 2009. The dynamics of post-secondary participation and completion: A fifteen year portrayal of BC young adults. http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED508700.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2016.
- Blinder, Alan. 2006. Offspring: The next industrial revolution. Foreign Affairs. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/2006-03-01/offshoring-next-industrial-revolution. Accessed 2 Dec 2016.
- Bloch, Graeme. 2009. A blueprint for learning. Sunday Times, August 23: 13.Google Scholar
- Bothma, Nic. 2016. Africa’s check factsheet: South Africa 2015/16 crime statistics. Daily Maverick, September 2. http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2016-09-02-africa-check-factsheet-south-africas-201516-crime-statistics/#.WAh0bPl97cc. Accessed 20 Oct 2016.
- Burger, Aalwyn. 2016. Blade soek nie dié hulp: Private universiteite sal ryk studente en akademici wegrokkel. Rapport, Sake-Rapport, October 16: 1.Google Scholar
- Centre for Development and Enterprise. 2013. Graduate unemployment in South Africa: A much exaggerated problem. http://sun025.sun.ac.za/portal/page/portal/Arts/Departments/political_science/docs/Tab/GRADUATE_UNEMPLOYMENT_IN_SOUTH_AFRICA__A_much_exaggerate.pdf. Accessed 28 July 2015.
- Cloete, Nic., and John Butler-Adam. 2012. Responding to the educational needs of post-school youth. Wynberg: CHET (Centre for Higher Education and Transformation).Google Scholar
- Education Resources Information Center (ERIC). 2016. https://eric.ed.gov/. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- Garson, Barbara. 1989. The electronic sweatshop: How computers are transforming the office of the future into the factory of the past. New York: Penguin.Google Scholar
- Heslop, John. 2006. When do secondary school graduates go on to post-secondary education? http://www.aved.gov.bc.ca/student_transitions/documents/STP_Highlights06.pdf. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- Johnson, Richard W. 2015. How long will South Africa survive? The looming crisis. Johannesburg: Jonathan Ball.Google Scholar
- Joubert, Jan. 2012. Die demokratiese puberteit. In Geskiedenis van Suid-Afrika: Van voortye tot vandag, ed. F. Pretorius, 581–601. Kaapstad: Tafelberg.Google Scholar
- Martin, Michael O., Ina V.S. Mullis, Pierre Foy, and Gabrielle M. Stanco. 2012. TIMSS 2011 international results in science. Chestnut Hill: TIMSS & PIRLS International Study Center, Boston College.Google Scholar
- Mathenjwa, Mbuzeni. 2014. Contemporary trends in provincial government supervision of local government in South Africa. Law, Democracy and Development 18. http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2077-49072014000100009. Accessed 10 Jan 2017.
- Mullis, Ina V.S., Michael O. Martin, Pierre Foy, and Kathleen T. Drucker. 2012. The PIRLS 2011 international results in reading. Chestnut Hill: TIMMS & PIRLS International Study Center, Boston College.Google Scholar
- National Centre for Vocational Educational Research (Australia). 2012. Longitudinal survey of Australian youth 2009 cohort: QWave 3 (2011). http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED536288.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- Odo, Dennis M., Reginald D’Siva, and Lee Gunderson. 2012. High school may not be enough: An investigation of Asian students’ eligibility for post-secondary education. http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ975281.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- Paquette, Jerald and Gerald Fallon. 2014. Quest of indigeneity, quality and credibility in aboriginal post-secondary education in Canada: Problematic contexts and potential ways forward. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy. http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1044706.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- Pinnock, Don. 2016. Gang town. Cape Town: Tafelberg.Google Scholar
- Ratbalasuriar, Sheruni. 2012. Forging paths through hostile territory: Intersections of women’s identities pursuing post-secondary computing education. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, University of Arizona.Google Scholar
- Republic of South Africa, Departement of Higher Education and Training. 2013. White paper for post-school education and training: Building an expanded, effective and integrated post-school system. Pretoria: Departement of Higher Education and Training. http://www.che.ac.za/sites/default/files/publications/White%20Paper%20-%20final%20for%20web.pdf. Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Republic of South Africa, Department of Education. 2005. Education statistics at a glance in 2004. Pretoria: Department of Education.Google Scholar
- Republic of South Africa, Department of Education. 2007. Education statistics at a glance in 2006. Pretoria: Department of Education.Google Scholar
- Smit, Philip. 2016. Universiteite onder Beleg. Beeld, January 22: 21.Google Scholar
- Smith, Dan. 2015. Government in transition: Mothballing Manitoba’s council on post-secondary education. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy. http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1072305.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2016.
- Stasz, Cathleen E., Eric Eide, Paco Martorell, S. Francisko, Louay Constant, Charles A. Goldman, Joy S. Moini, Joy, Vazha Nadareishvili, and Hanine Salem. 2007. Identifying priorities for post-secondary education in Qatar: Research brief. Unpublished research report, Rand Education, Rand Qatar Policy Institute.Google Scholar
- Statistics South Africa. 2015. Mid year population estimates 2015. Pretoria: Statistics South Africa. https://www.statssa.gov.za/publications/P0302/P03022015.pdf. Accessed 19 Oct 2016.
- Steyn, Sophia C. 2008. The education system of South Africa. In Education systems: The challenges of the 21st century, ed. Henni J. Steyn and Charl C. Wolhuter, 35–100. Noordbrug: Keurkopie.Google Scholar
- Tieben, Nicole, and Maaren H.J. Wolbers. 2010. Transitions to post-secondary and tertiary education in the Netherlands: A trend analysis of unconditional and conditional socio-economic background effects. Higher Education: The International Journal of Higher Education and Educational Planning 60 (1): 85–100.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO. 2012. International standard classification of education (ISCED). Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. 2016. Statistics. www.uis.unesco.org. Accessed 7 Nov 2016.
- Van Rensburg, Dennis. 2016. Die groot kollege flop: begroting dui op krisis in hoër onderwys. Rapport Sake-Rapport, October 30: 1.Google Scholar
- Wolhuter, Charl C. 2000. Enkele implikasies van die 1996–sensus vir die opvoedkundenavorsingsagenda. Suid-Afrikaanse Tydskrif vir Opvoedkunde 21 (2): 155–160.Google Scholar
- Wolhuter, Charl C. 2011. The spectrum of international educational development. Journal of Educational Planning and Administration 25 (3): 235–247.Google Scholar
- Wolhuter, Charl C. 2014. Weaknesses of South African education in the mirror image of international educational development. South African Journal of Education 34 (2).Google Scholar
- Wolhuter, Charl C. 2015. The case of the education system of South Africa on the world map: Inspiring case or call for guidance from abroad? In Thinking about education systems, ed. Charl C. Wolhuter, Lynette Jacobs, and Hennie J. Steyn, 57–77. Noordbrug: Keurkopie.Google Scholar
- Wolhuter, Charl C., Philip Higgs, Leonie G. Higgs, and Isaac Ntshoe. 2010. How affluent is the South African higher education sector and how strong is the academic profession in the changing international academic landscape? South African Journal of Higher Education 24 (1): 196–213.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 2015. World Development Indicators. Washington DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 2016. World development indicators. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Yu, Derek, Atoko Kasongo, and Mariana Moses. 2016. How two crucial trends are affecting unemployment in South Africa. The Conversation, April 11. https://theconversation.com/how-two-crucial-trends-are-affecting-unemployment-in-south-africa-56296. Accessed 24 May 2016.