Bioproduction of Chemicals: An Introduction
The successful transition of a petroleum-based economy to a more sustainable economy is highly dependent on the development of technologies that will meet the demands for the production of fuel and industrially important chemicals. Establishment of microorganism-based biorefineries is a promising route in realizing this goal through the application of metabolically engineered microorganisms capable of converting renewable biomasses to value-added chemicals. This review encompasses the constructed synthetic pathways and microbial strain improvement strategies developed to date for the direct production of building-block chemicals from renewable biomass.
This work was supported by the Technology Development Program to Solve Climate Changes on Systems Metabolic Engineering for Biorefineries from the Ministry of Science and ICT (MSIT) through the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Korea (NRF-2015M1A2A2035810) and Mid-career Researcher Program through NRF grant funded by the MSIT (NRF-2016R1A2B4008707).
- Biddy MJ, Scarlata C, Kinchin C (2016) Chemicals from biomass: a market assessment of bioproducts with near-term potential (No. NREL/TP-5100-65509). NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, COGoogle Scholar
- Cheng K, Zhao X, Zeng J, Zhang (2012) Biotechnological production of succinic acid: current state and perspectives. Biofuel Bioprod Bior 6:302–318Google Scholar
- Choi S, Song H, Lim SW, Kim TY, Ahn JH, Lee JW, Lee MH, Lee SY (2016) Highly selective production of succinic acid by metabolically engineered Mannheimia succiniciproducens and its efficient purification. Biotechnol BioengGoogle Scholar
- Kataoka N, Vangnai AS, Ueda H, Tajima T, Nakashimada Y, Kato J (2014) Enhancement of (R)-1,3-butanediol production by engineered Escherichia coli using a bioreactor system with strict regulation of overall oxygen transfer coefficient and pH. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 78:695–700CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Park JM, Hong WK, Lee SM, Heo SY, Jung YR, Kang IY, BR O, Seo JW, Kim CH (2014) Identification and characterization of a short-chain acyl dehydrogenase from Klebsiella pneumoniae and its application for high-level production of L-2, 3-butanediol. J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 41:1425–1433CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yim H, Haselbeck R, Niu W, Pujol-Baxley C, Burgard A, Boldt J, Khandurina J, Trawick JD, Osterhout RE, Stephen R, Estadilla J, Teisan S, Schreyer HB, Andrae S, Yang TH, Lee SY, Burk MJ, Dien SV (2011) Metabolic engineering of Escherichia coli for direct production of 1,4-butanediol. Nat Chem Biol 7:445–452CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar