Substance Abuse in the Elderly
There are two different groups in terms of age of onset of alcohol drinking among the older drinkers. The ‘early-onset’ alcoholics begin drinking in their early twenties. The ‘late onset’ tend to be highly educated, and stressful life event frequently precipitates or exacerbates their drinking. Women are more prone to late-onset alcoholism than men.
Keywords‘Late-onset’ alcoholics ‘Early-onset’ alcoholics Chronic alcoholism Prescription and over-the-counter drugs Baby boomers
- 1.Menninger JA. Assessment and treatment of alcohol and substance related disorders in the elderly. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic. 2002;40:160–184.Google Scholar
- 2.Offsay J. Treatment of alcohol-related problems in the elderly. Ann Long term Care: Care & Aging 2007;15)7):39–44.Google Scholar
- 7.Muncie HL Jr, Yasinian Y, Oge L. Outpatient management of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Am Fam Physician.. 013;88(9):589–95.Google Scholar
- 11.The Australian Guidelines to Reduce Health Risks from Drinking Alcohol. National Health & Medical Research Council. February 2009.Google Scholar
- 12.Kopelman The Korsakoff syndrome: Clinical aspects. Psychology and treatment. Alcohol Alcoholism. https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agn118. 148–154.
- 13.Rigler SK. Alcoholism in the elderly. Amer Fam Physician. March 15, 2000.Google Scholar
- 16.Blow F. Michigan Alcoholism Screening Test-Geriatric version (MAST-G). Ann Arbor MI, University of Michigan Alcohol Research Centre.Google Scholar
- 17.Babor TF, Higgins-Biddle JC, Sanders JB, Monteiro MG. Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test(AUDIT). Guidelines for use in Primary Care. 2nd Ed World Health Organisation-Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence.Google Scholar
- 18.Buddy T. Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. About.com.alcoholism. Updated june 12,2007.Google Scholar
- 19.Bogunovic O. Substance abuse in aging and elderly adults: New issues for psychiatrists.Psych Central Professional. http://pro.psychcentral.com/substance-abuse-in-aging-and-elderly-adults-new=issues-for-psychiatrist/001011.html. Accessed 16 January 2017.
- 20.Steinhagen KA, Friedman MB. Substance abuse and misuse in older adults. Aging well Vol No.3.p20. http://www.todaysgeriatricmedicine.com/archive/071708p20.shtml. Accessed 16 January 2017.
- 21.Schonfeld L, Dupree LW. Treatment approaches for older problem drinkers. Int J Addict 1995;30(3):119–1842.Google Scholar