Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) presents as a diverse group of arthritis ranging from peripheral monoarticular and polyarticular disease to axial skeletal involvement. PsA in the elderly shows some differences from the young-onset disease. They have a higher involvement of active joints, foot erosions and elevation of CRP and synovial IL-1 beta and IL-beta, and the progression rate is higher than in the younger group. About 40% of patients with PsA show the presence of spondylitis. PsA also confers a significant increase in mortality risk, and the major causes of death among patients with psoriasis include myocardial infarction, respiratory causes and cancer. PsA patients have reduced quality of life and functional capacity compared to psoriasis patients.
KeywordsPsoriatic arthritis Psoriasis Quality of life Remitting seronegative symmetrical synovitis with pitting oedema (RS3PE)
- 11.Queiro R, Tejon P, Alonso S, Coto P. Age at disease onset: a key factor for understanding psoriatic disease. Rheumatology 9 2013 https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ket363.
- 13.Lee S, Mendelsohn A, Sarneo E. The burden of psoriatic arthritis: a literature review from a global health system perspective. Pharma Ther. 2010;35:680–689.Google Scholar
- 16.Russel EB, Hunter JB, Pearson L, McCarty DT. Remitting sero-negative symmetrical synovitis with pitting edema − 13 additional cases. J Rheumatol. 1990;17:663–9.Google Scholar
- 18.Saad AA, Symmons DP, Noyce PR, Ascroft DM. Risks and benefits of tumour necrosis factor-alpha inhibitors and the management of psoriatic arthritis: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Rheumatol. 2008;35(5):583–90.Google Scholar
- 21.Hammadi AA. Psoriatic arthritis. http://emedicine.medscape.com/arthritis/2196539-overview retrieved 9 March 2015.
- 23.Chang CA, Gottlieb AB, Lizzul PF. Management of psoriatic arthritis from the view of the dermatologist: Long term consequences of PsA. Medscape. http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/749147_3 accessed on 3 September 2015.
- 24.Gladman DD. The natural history of psoriatic arthritis. Wright V, Helliwell PS. Psoriatic arthritis in Bailliere’s Clinical Rheumatology. International Practice and Research. London: Bailliere Tindall, 1994:379–94.Google Scholar