Asthma in the Elderly
In the elderly, asthma is superimposed on changes related to ageing, immune function and other diseases common in older age. The aetiology of asthma in the elderly is multifactorial and complex. One-third of the older patients experience breathlessness which is a non-specific symptom in the elderly, and the differential diagnosis includes, besides asthma, COPD and non-respiratory conditions such as cardiac failure, deconditioning, obesity and infection, amongst others. Cough is a prominent symptom in the elderly asthmatics and may be the only symptom. The difficulty of making a diagnosis in the elderly is due to a number of factors. Spirometry has been used as a ‘gold standard’ in the diagnosis of asthma but there a number of limitations especially in the older patient. Asthma is common in the elderly and often is misdiagnosed, underdiagnosed and undertreated resulting in significant negative consequences for the patient’s health.
KeywordsElderly asthma Late-onset asthma Spirometry Beta-agonists Antimuscarinics
- 1.Melani AS. Management of asthma in the elderly patient. Dovepress J. 2013; 2013(8):913–922.Google Scholar
- 3.Ariano R, Pauzani RC, Angeri G. Late onset asthma clinical and immunological data: importance of allergy. J Invest Allergol Clin Immunol 1998;84:35–41.Google Scholar
- 6.Krcmarik JP, Kain KP. Diagnosis and treatment of asthma in elderly patients. Website: http://www.yourlunglealth.org/healthy_living/aah/07.07/articles/elderly/.
- 14.Tzortzaki EG, Proklou A, Siafakas NM. Asthma in the elderly: Can we distinguish it from COPD? J Allergy. 2011;Article ID 843543,7 pages https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/843543.
- 27.NPS NEWS. Inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting beta 2 agonists in asthma and COPD. National Prescribing Service Newsletter. No: 58, 2008.Google Scholar
- 29.Hancox RJ, Taylor DR. Long-acting beta-agonist treatment in patients with persistent asthma already receiving inhaled steroids. Bio Drugs. 2001 15(1):11–24.Google Scholar
- 30.Expert Panel Report3 (EPR-3). Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of asthma-summary report 2007. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120(5suppl):S94–138.Google Scholar
- 34.Urso DL. Asthma in the elderly. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res 2009:2009:858415. https://doi.org/10.1155/2009/858415.