- Jennifer FerreiraAffiliated withCentre for Business in Society, Coventry University Email author
The World Bank, part of the World Bank Group established in 1944, is the international financial institution responsible for promoting economic development and reducing poverty. The World Bank has two key objectives: to end extreme poverty by reducing the proportion of the world’s population living on less than $1.25 a day and promoting shared prosperity by fostering income growth in the lowest 40% of the population.
A core activity for the World Bank is the provision of low interest loans, zero- to low-interest grants to developing countries. This could be to support a wide range of activities from education and health care to infrastructure, agriculture, or natural resource management. In addition to the financial support, the World Bank provides policy advice, research, analysis, and technical assistance to various countries in order to inform its own investments and ultimately to work toward its key objectives. Part of its activities relate to the provision of tools to research and ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
Date: 2017 (Latest)History
- 2017 (Latest)
- World Bank
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Big Data
- pp 1-4
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer International Publishing
- Copyright Holder
- Springer International Publishing AG
- Additional Links
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. School of Policy, Government and International Affairs, George Mason University
- 2. School of Policy, Government and International Affairs, George Mason University
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Centre for Business in Society, Coventry University, Priory St, CV1 5DL, Coventry, UK
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.