Impact of COVID-19 on the Tourism Industry of Fiji, Solomon Islands, and Samoa
- 16 Downloads
COVID-19 is an illness caused by the novel Coronavirus. Initially, the outbreak of this virus occurred in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, in China.
Global Health Crisis is a complex health crisis comprised of viruses and a chain of outbreaks that affects everyone globally.
The Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) pandemic has evolved from a health crisis to a global economic crisis that has impacted countries worldwide. Each country has been affected differently by the spread of the COVID-19 (see United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) 2020). Restrictions on the movement of people, which includes curfews, and national lockdowns, has adversely affected countries that rely on tourism for their livelihoods. The extent of the COVID-19 crisis that each economy faces is influenced by health infrastructure, financial resources, economic structure, and fiscal space available for...
- Aljazeera (2020) Pacific’s Samoa records first case of coronavirus. Retrieved from https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/11/19/pacifics-samoa-records-first-case-of-coronavirus
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) (2020a) Pacific Economic Monitor, December 2020. Retrieved from https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/622976/pem-December-2020.pdf
- Asian Development Bank (2020b) Pacific Economic Monitor, July 2020. Retrieved from https://www.adb.org/sites/default/files/publication/622976/pem-july-2020.pdf
- Fruean A (2020) Report confirms impact of pandemic on tourism industry. Retrieved from https://www.samoaobserver.ws/category/article/62297
- Government of Samoa (2020) Budget address by Samoa Minister of Finance on COVID-19 stimulus package. Retrieved from https://samoaglobalnews.com/budget-address-by-samoa-minister-of-finance-on-covid-19-stimulus-package1/
- IMF (2020a) No tourism recovery in September. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/en/Countries/ResRep/PIS-Region
- IMF (2020b) Pacific Islands Monitor: issue 13. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/en/Countries/ResRep/PIS-Region
- Lilomo P (2020) COVID-19 casting a dark shadow on Solomon Islands tourism. Retrieved from https://www.solomontimes.com/feature/covid19-casting-a-dark-shadow-on-solomon-islands-tourism/459
- Research Association of New Zealand (2020) Pacific tourism: COVID-19 impact and recovery. Retrieved from https://corporate.southpacificislands.travel/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Pacific-Tourism-Sector-Status-report-Final.pdf
- Solomon Islands Government (2020) Solomon Islands Government economic stimulus package to address the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. Retrieved from https://solomons.gov.sb/solomon-islands-government-economic-stimulus-package-to-address-the-impacts-of-the-covid-19-pandemic/
- The Government of Fiji (2020) 2020 Covid-19 budget response address by the Attorney-General and Minister for Economy Hon. Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum. Retrieved from https://www.fiji.gov.fj/Media-Centre/Speeches/2020-COVID-19-BUDGET-RESPONSE-ADDRESS-BY-THE-ATTOR
- UNDP (2020) COVID-19 socio-economic impact. Retrieved from https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/coronavirus/socio-economic-impact-of-covid-19.html
- United National Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (2020) Fiji reaches COVID-19 milestone, but remains vigilant. Retrieved from https://reliefweb.int/report/fiji/fiji-reaches-covid-19-milestone-remains-vigilant
- United Nations Pacific (2020) Socio-economic impact assessment of Covid-19 in Fiji. Retrieved from https://www1.undp.org/content/dam/fiji/docs/SEIA%20Fiji%20Consolidated%20Report.pdf
- United Nations SDG (2020) COVID-19 socio-economic response plan. Retrieved from https://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/WSM_Socioeconomic-Response-Plan_2020.pdf
- WHO (2020) COVID-19 Joint Incident Management Team Health sector preparedness & response. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/westernpacific/emergencies/covid-19/situation-reports
- WION (2020) Solomon Islands reports first COVID-19 case. Retrieved from https://www.wionews.com/world/solomon-islands-reports-first-covid-19-case-332384