Local Governments in Russia
- 183 Downloads
The organizations that provide public services in a particular town or area, controlled by officials chosen in local elections.
Local self-government is one of the most important institutions of the contemporary society. Today it is simultaneously considered as a form of citizens’ participation in public affairs (an element of the civil society), as one of the levels of public power, and as a constituent of the market economy (delivering certain services to citizens). In the Russian history, there was no gradual evolutionary development of the system of municipal government, natural for the development of local authorities in most of the contemporary developed countries. It had been eventually replaced by a rigid centralization and total lack of independence at a local level during the Soviet period. Nowadays under the conditions of reforming, the system of local self-government in Russia is still on the way of...
KeywordsLocal Government Rural Settlement Urban Settlement Municipal District City District
- Evans A The reform of local government in Russia: goals and implications. http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/2008-75-15.cfm
- Ministry of Regional Development of Russian Federation. The preliminary results of transition period of implementation of the federal law “On General Principles of Organization of Local Self-Government in Russian Federation”. http://www.minregion.ru/activities/msu/463/
- Problems of reforming local self-governance: structural and financial aspects. (2005) Moscow: IET, p 23Google Scholar
- Public Chamber of the Russian Federation. Local Self-government in Russian Federation. www.oprf.ru/press/conference/90
- Zhuravskaia E (1998) Incentives to provide local public goods: fiscal federalism, Russian style, Mimeo: harvard universityGoogle Scholar