Accountability and Ethics in Nonprofit Organizations
A process or rule by which a responsible individual or group is subject to record, report, and/or justify matters occurring under one’s jurisdiction to other stakeholder(s) internal or external to the NP. External stakeholders commonly include the public and government officials.
Value-based norms, rules, or standards of behavior acceptable within, or expected of, NPs.
- Fiduciary Duties
The three duties of nonprofit boards commonly reflected in laws across state jurisdictions: the duty of care, the duty of loyalty, and the duty of obedience.
- Internal Controls
Refer to all NP governance procedures and processes,...
- Chait RP, Holland TP, Taylor BE (1996) Improving the governance of nonprofit boards, American Council on Education. Oryx Press, WestportGoogle Scholar
- Corbett C (2011) Advancing nonprofit stewardship through self-regulation: translating principles into practice. Kumarian Press, SterlingGoogle Scholar
- Corbett C, Vienne D, Abou-Assi K, Namisi H, Smith DH (2016/in press) Self- regulation in associations, Chapter 41. In: Smith DH, Stebbins RA, Grotz J (eds) Palgrave handbook of volunteering, civic participation, and nonprofit associations. Palgrave Macmillan, BasingstrokeGoogle Scholar
- Fremont-Smith M (2004) Governing nonprofit organizations. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- Hopkins B (2007) Legal responsibilities of nonprofit boards, Book five of the governance series. BoardSource, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Independent Sector (2007) Principles for good governance and ethical practice: a guide for charities and foundations. Reference edition. Panel on nonprofit sector convened by Independent Sector accessed from www.independentsector.org
- Independent Sector (2015) Principles for good governance and ethical practice. Accessed from www.principlesforgood.com
- Jackson PM, Fogarty TE (2006) Sarbanes-Oxley and nonprofit management. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Jordan L, van Tuijl P (eds) (2007) NGO Accountability: politics, principles and innovations. Earthscan, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Moos RF (1986) The human context: environmental determinants of behavior. Robert E. Krieger Publishing Company, Malabar, pp 214–221Google Scholar
- Rosenthal L (2012) Good counsel: meeting the legal needs of nonprofits. Wiley, HobokenGoogle Scholar
- Sidel M (2010) Regulation of the voluntary sector: security and freedom in an era of uncertainty. Routledge, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Spector B (2012) Detecting corruption in developing countries. Kumarian Press, SterlingGoogle Scholar