Local Law Enforcement and Public Administration
- 984 Downloads
Law enforcement: It is the prevention, detection, and investigation of crime and the apprehension and detention of individuals suspected of law violation. This includes the individuals and agencies responsible for enforcing laws and maintaining public order and public safety (Bureau of Justice 2016).
Society is organized around a set of rules, known as laws. Laws provide structure to our lives and provide boundaries of acceptable behavior. Laws are created by government and implemented by the bureaucracy. Various iterations of police are responsible for ensuring people are following the laws. These agencies attempt to prevent crimes from occurring and to protect people from criminals as well as to apprehend and prosecute lawbreakers. Law enforcement agencies operate at all levels of government, including at multiple levels within states. Agencies such as the...
KeywordsPolice Officer Police Department National Park Service Tribal Land Police Misconduct
- Adams K (1959) Measuring the prevalence of police abuse of force. In: Geller WA, Toch H (eds) Police violence: understanding and controlling police abuse of force. Yale University Press, New Haven/LondonGoogle Scholar
- Boyer PJ (2001) Bad cops. The New Yorker, 21 May 2001. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/05/21/bad-cops. Accessed 22 Mar 2016
- Crane-Murdoch S (2013) On Indian land, criminals can get away with almost anything. The Atlantic, 22 Feb 2013. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/02/on-indian-land-criminals-can-get-away-with-almost-anything/273391/. Accessed 22 Mar 2016
- Gottschalk P (2010) Police management. Nova Science Publishers, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mullainathan S (2015) Police killings of blacks: here is what the data say. The New York Times, 16 Oct 2015. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/upshot/police-killings-of-blacks-what-the-data-says.html. Accessed 23 Mar 2016
- Office of Justice Programs. “Law Enforcement.” Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2016. http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=7 (accessed March 16, 2016)
- Wilson JQ (1978) Varieties of police behavior: the management of law and order in eight communities. Harvard University Press, Cambridge/LondonGoogle Scholar