Loneliness and Aloneness Scale for Children and Adolescents (LACA)
The term “loneliness” refers to the negative feelings that emerge when people experience their social relationships as deficient (Perlman and Peplau 1981). The Loneliness and Aloneness Scale for Children and Adolescents (LACA; Marcoen et al. 1987) measures loneliness in two kinds of relationships, that is, relationships with parents and peers. In addition, the measure assesses two attitudes to being alone, that is, aversion to aloneness (or negative attitude to being alone) and affinity for aloneness (or positive attitude to being alone).
The LACA has been referred to as the Louvain Loneliness Scale for Children and Adolescents (LLCA) in earlier work (e.g., Marcoen et al. 1987). The instrument was developed specifically for the age range of 10–19 years. The available measures for adults were deemed too difficult in wording or seemed developmentally inappropriate. Late childhood and adolescence are crucial periods in life during which...
- Bastos, M., & Costa, M. E. (2002, September). The relationship between loneliness, attachment style and internet use in adolescents and young adults. Paper presented at the Eighth Biennial conference of the European association for research on adolescence (EARA), Oxford.Google Scholar
- Brighi, A., Melotti, G., Guarini, A., Gente, M. L., Ortega, R., Mora-Merchán, J., Smith, P. K., & Thompson, F. (2012). Self-esteem and loneliness in relation to cyberbullying in three European countries. In Q. Li, D. Cross, & P. K. Smith (Eds.), Cyberbullying in the global playground (pp. 32–55). Malden: Blackwell-Wiley.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Danneel, S., Bijttebier, P., Delhaye, M., Rossaert, M., Berenbaum, T., Maes, M., & Goossens, L. (2016). Loneliness and attitudes towards aloneness in Belgian adolescents: Measurement invariance across language, age, and gender groups. Manuscript submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- Goossens, L. (2006). Affect, emotion, and loneliness in adolescence. In S. Jackson & L. Goossens (Eds.), Handbook of adolescent development (pp. 51–70). Hove: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Goossens, L. (2014). Affinity for aloneness in adolescence and preference for solitude in childhood: Linking two research traditions. In R. J. Coplan & J. Bowker (Eds.), Handbook of solitude: Psychological perspectives on social isolation, social withdrawal, and being alone (pp. 150–166). Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Goossens, L. (Ed.). (2016). Leuvense Eenzaamheidsschaal voor Kinderen en Adolescenten (LEKA): Eenzaamheid meten bij jongeren in Vlaanderen en Nederland [Loneliness and aloneness scale for children and adolescents (LACA): Measuring young people’s loneliness in Flanders and the Netherlands]. Leuven: Acco.Google Scholar
- Maes, M., Van den Noortgate, W., & Goossens, L. (2015b). A reliability generalization study for a multidimensional loneliness measure: The loneliness and aloneness scale for children and adolescents. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 31, 294–301. doi:10.1027/1015-5759/a000237.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marcoen, A., & Goossens, L. (1993). Loneliness, attitude toward aloneness, and solitude: Age differences and developmental significance during adolescence. In S. Jackson & H. Rodriguez-Tomé (Eds.), Adolescence and its social worlds (pp. 197–227). Hove: Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- McNamara, J. K., Willoughby, T., & Chalmers, H. (2005). Psychosocial status of adolescents with learning disabilities with and without comorbid attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Learning Disabilities Research and Practice, 20, 234–244. doi:10.1111/j.1540-5826.2005.00139.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McNamara, J., Vervaeke, S. L., & Willoughby, T. (2008). Learning disabilities and risk-taking behavior in adolescents: A comparison of those with and without comorbid attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 41, 561–574. doi:10.1177/0022219408326096.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Melotti, G., Corsano, P., Majorana, M., & Scarpuzzi, P. (2006). An Italian application of the Louvain loneliness scale for children and adolescents (LLCA). TPM – Testing, Psicometria e Metodologia, 13, 237–255.Google Scholar
- Perlman, D., & Peplau, L. A. (1981). Toward a social psychology of loneliness. In R. Gilmour & S. Duck (Eds.), Personal relationships: 3. Relationships in disorder (pp. 31–56). London, UK: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Weeks, M. S., & Asher, S. R. (2012). Loneliness in childhood: Toward the next generation of assessment and research. In J. B. Benson (Ed.), Advances in child development and behavior (Vol. 42, pp. 1–39). San Diego: Academic.Google Scholar