Bolshoy Lyakhovsky (Blizhniy)
Bolshoy Lyakhovsky (Blizhniy) – an island from the group of the Lyakhovsky Islands in the New Siberian Archipelago, the Sakha Republic (Yakutia). It is separated from the mainland by Dmitry Laptev Strait and from Maly Lyakhovsky Island by Proliv Eterikan (Eterikan Strait). The length is about 116 km, the width is about 65 km, the height is 270 m. The area is 5,200 km2. The relief is marked by two parallel ranges with a fault trough in the middle which is filled with quaternary depositions and fossil ice. The rock ledge is presented in form of separate massifs. There are many fossil remains of quaternary period animals (like mammoths) and forest cover. The surface of the island is covered with tundra vegetation. The island is inhabited and was visited as early as in the seventeenth century, but was first mentioned in the notes of Yakov Permyakov in the beginning of the eighteenth century. In 1712 B.L. Island was visited by a Cossack Merkuriy Vagin and in 1770–1773 an industrialist Ivan Lyakhov whose name was later given to the island. In 1928 the Academy of Sciences of the USSR built the first weather station on its southeastern shore. The locals often called the island “Kovrizhka.” In the western part of the island there lies the Kigilyakh Peninsula, presenting a massif connected with the island itself by a low land bridge. The peninsula is of an irregular quadrangle. There is a lighthouse in this part of the island.