Berezhnykh, Ilya Avtonomovich (1799–1839)
Berezhnykh, Ilya Avtonomovich (1799–1839) – a staff captain of the Corps of Fleet Navigators. B. graduated from the Baltic Navigator School. Until 1819 he navigated on the ships of the Baltic Fleet. In 1820–1824, he was an assistant navigator who participated in reconnaissance marine surveying of the northern shores of Siberia and New Siberian Islands under the command of P.F. Anjou. He was the first to survey the southern and the eastern shores of Kotelny Island – the biggest among the New Siberian Islands. In 1825–1827, he was the assistant navigator in command of a detachment, conducted a reconnaissance marine survey of the coast between the Pechora River and Cape Kanin Nos, and circled Kolguyev Island on a karbass. In 1827 he was accepted to the Corps of Fleet Navigators which lead to his promotion to second lieutenant. In 1828–1835, he navigated the Mediterranean and the Baltic seas. In 1831 he was promoted to lieutenant and in 1835 to staff captain and moved to a shore unit.
He gave his name to Cape Faddeyevsky (New Siberian Islands), East Siberian Sea.