It is a spit, presenting a natural limit to the entrance of Kolyuchinskaya Guba, the Chukchi Sea, from the east. It stretches from the east to the west for 20 km and separates Belyaka Lagoon from the sea. The eastern part of the spit is no wider than 300 m and is formed by sand and pebbles. When heavy northern winds blow, the waves roll across it. To the west, the spit gets gradually higher; here the area presents waterlogged tundra with a lot of fresh lakes. The northwestern and eastern shores of the spit are fringed with a hilly sand beach 40–200 m wide. In the middle of the northern shore, the beach is followed by a cliff, which gets eroded and goes deep into the land. On the northern shore of the spit, small driftwood can be found. The shore off the sea is bold; autoboats may come right up to them. Its western shore is even bolder.
It is a lagoon in the northeast of Kolyuchinskaya Guba, the Chukchi Sea. It was named in 1913 by the participants of the Hydrographical expedition in the Arctic Ocean after the name of a coal passer of the icebreaker “Taymyr” V.S. Belyak, who died in an accident on September 25, 1913. The lagoon got the name of the spit in later times.