Belkovsky – the westernmost island in the New Siberian Archipelago in the Laptev Sea. It is the territory of the Sakha Republic (Yakutia) and is situated 24 km to the west of Kotelny Island, from which B. is separated by Zarya Strait. The length is 25 km, the widest part in the south reaches 15 km. The area is about 500 km2. The island is formed by dark massive carbonate rock with occasional delves of pure calc spar of various intensity which in the southern and eastern parts of the island give way to unconsolidated rock. The surface is plain, not more than 120 m high. The shores are low, occasionally rocky. On the cliffs, there are huge colonies of birds, and on one of the spits at the Cape Severnyi, there is a resting place of walruses. The island was discovered by a manufacturer N.S. Bel’kov in 1808. The island was visited by P.F. Anjou, A.V. Kolchak, and F.A. Matisen, who made their astronomic observations there.