Begichev Islands – two islands situated in the southwestern part of the Laptev Sea at the entrance to the Khatanga Bay in the southern part of the Laptev Sea. These are Bolshoy Begichev and Maly Begichev lying 7 km away from it. In winter they are surrounded by thick pack ice and in the summer by separate drift ice. The surface presents a steeply sloping plain covered by tundra vegetation. Local people hunt for arctic foxes and reindeer. There is a resting place for walruses here. Maly Begichev Island was discovered in 1739 by Kh. Laptev and named St. Nicolas. For a long time, the islands were considered to be a peninsula until N.A. Begichev proved their island status in 1908–1913. He named the smaller one Nikolay Island and the bigger one Sizoy Island. In 1933 the islands got the name of Begichev. They are part of the Sakha Republic (Yakutia).