Sannikov, Yakov (1780: The Beginning of the Nineteenth Century)
Sannikov, Yakov (1780: The Beginning of the Nineteenth Century) – was a merchant from Yakutia, manufacturer, and explorer of the New Siberian Islands. He was the head of the guild engaged in fish and fur business on the shore of the Laptev Sea. In spring 1800 S. found in sea a rocky island with several crosses on its shore, which meant that it had been visited before. S. discovered and described Stolbovoy Island anew. In 4 years he visited Kotelny Island. As a member of M. Gedenstrom’s expedition, aimed at exploration of the New Siberian Islands in 1808–1810, S. crossed the island of New Siberia from south to north, described the landscape of its inner part, carried out astronomic investigation, and mapped significant heights. In 1811 S. walked around the Faddeyevsky Island with his son and surveyor P. Pshenitsyn to find out that it was connected with the Kotelny Island with a low sandy neck of land, which goes underwater during tide. (Later on, the eastern part of the Kotelny Island was named the Bunge Land; the Faddeyevsky Island lost independence in the middle of the twentieth century and turned to a peninsula of the same name.) S. saw a mysterious land from the New Siberian Islands many times, which was later named after him. Eduard von Toll also reported on the existence of this land and marked it on the map on the basis of his observations over migration of birds and animals. Later on Sannikov Land was searched for by Pyotr Anjou, with no result.
The name of S. is given to the strait between Archipelagos Lyakhovsky and Anjou, connecting the East Siberian Sea and the Laptev Sea, a polar station, a river on the New Siberian Islands, and the famous “Sannikov Land.”