An island located in the Lena River Delta, the Sakha Republic (Yakutia), Russia. In the course of the first International Polar Year (1882–1883), a polar station headed by N. Yurgens, a Naval Masters Corps lieutenant, was arranged on the southern bank of the island and was operating from August 31, 1883 to June 19, 1884. Wide-scale observations in meteorology, geophysics, botany, and zoology were made. A thorough topographic survey of the Lena Delta was undertaken. During the second IPY (1932–1933), a polar station was located there as well.
(Former Tumat) a settlement located on the northern edge of the Lena Delta, neglected in the former decades. This is a place of history: in 1881, the first Russian meteorological station, where N. D. Yurgens and A. A. Bunge were making observations in 1881–1883, was established there. At present this territory is a protective zone of a nature reserve, which is used for licensed fishing by workers of the Yakutia’s only collective farm “Arktika.”