Point Hope – (Inupiat. Tiagara, which means “forefinger”), a town on the northern slope of Barrow, Alaska, USA. It is located at the northwest end of the Lisburne Peninsula on the coast of the Chukchi Sea. The population is 700 people (2014). It has an airport. In 1861, a hydrographer and historian of Russian America P. A. Tikhmenev called it Tiekagagmiut. The first Europeans who mentioned of it were Russian researchers M. Vasilev and G. Shishmarev, who during their expedition on the sloops “Otkrytie” and “Blagonamerenie” called this place Cape Golovnin in honor of Vice Admiral V. Golovnin. It was renamed in P.H. by British Royal Navy Captain F. W. Beechey. In 1958, P.H. was the base location of members of the operation “Chariot,” which was creating a deep artificial harbor (which is used only 3 months a year) 55 km from the town by means of underground thermonuclear explosion.