The Eastern Arctic Seas Encyclopedia

2016 Edition
| Editors: Igor S. Zonn, Andrey G. Kostianoy, Aleksandr V. Semenov

Arctic Shipping Company

Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24237-8_40

Arctic Shipping Company – in 1967 the Port of Tiksi became home to an independent shipping company named the North-East Department of the Fleet reporting directly to the Ministry of Navy of the USSR. By mid-1980s the fleet possessed 20 motorships and 4 cargo tanks. The total cargo carrying capacity was 79,000 t. In 1987 the enterprise was renamed into the Yakutsk sea transport manufacturing group. Apart from the cargo fleet and ship repairing yards it included the port of Tiksi and Khatanga. Since 1991 the enterprise existed in the form of a shipping company, ports, and most of the shore units having been withdrawn from it. The company got the name of “The Arctic Shipping Company.” Since 1993 it has been a state enterprise.

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016