Pacific Research Institute for Fishery and Oceanography (TINRO)
Pacific Research Institute for Fishery and Oceanography (TINRO) – was established in 1934 as a result of reorganization of the Pacific Fishery Institute (TIRKH). The Institute searched complex solutions for general biological and fishery issues. A lot was done for inventory count of flora and fauna of the Far East seas, many new species were described, and the hydrological regime of seas was studied. Special attention was paid to determine fishery capacities of Russian waters and study their biology, methods of fishing, and treatment of numerous fish species (salmon, herring, cods, sardine, flounder), sea weeds, invertebrates, and sea mammals.
In 1929 TINRO acquired the first research vessel “Rossinante,” which allowed to expand and further develop fishery research activities. In the end of 1940s–1950s, vast complex research in all the Far East seas, waters off Kamchatka and the Kurils, was held. As a result raw basis of the Soviet fishery in the Far East was considerably expanded. In the end of the 1950s to the beginning of 1960s, TINRO was formed as the country’s largest scientific institute. Later on, TINRO enhanced works in the area of commercial fishery. Methods of large-scale trawl fishing were introduced, light fishing and hydroacoustics, the mariculture was further developed, the methodology of raw basis monitoring was implemented, and the ecosystemic approach to study the population of fishery items and prediction of fishery situation using remote sounding methods were developed. In 1994 TINRO was restructured to the Pacific Research Fishery Centre (TINRO-Centre).