Pacific Fishery Institute (TIRKH)
Pacific Fishery Institute (TIRKH) – was established in 1929 through reorganization of the Pacific Scientific and Commercial Station (TONS). The basic task of the Institute is the development of scientific basis for better fishery. Sturgeons and ordinary fish were studied to expand the raw material base in the Amur. In 1930 TIRKH had three fishery plants: Sakhalinskiy on the Tym’, Amurskiy (now Teplovskiy) on the Bira, and Kamchatskiy on the Ushki. Apart from works on preserving spawning locations and study of salmon spawning and breeding of juvenile fish in fish refuges, the research on acclimatization of red salmon in the Amur and crucians in Kamchatka was held. In 1932–1933 the “Pacific Complex Expedition” took place, with TIRKH participating in it. The research was held in the Sea of Japan, the Sea of Okhotsk, the Bering Sea, and the Chukchi Sea. In 1932 the Kamchatka and the Sakhalin branches of TIRKH were opened. In 1934 TIRKH was reorganized to the Pacific Research Institute for Fishery and Oceanography (TINRO).