Milovzorov, Pavel Georgievich (1876–1940)
Milovzorov, Pavel Georgievich (1876–1940) – a Soviet Arctic captain, veteran of the Arctic navigation, and one of the pioneers of the Northern Sea Route. He graduated from the nautical school. He participated in the Russian-Japanese War, then served in the Far East, and sailed on private vessels in Japan, China, Australia, and Europe. In 1914, he made his first voyage on the steamer “Kolyma” from Vladivostok to the mouth of the Kolyma River. In the 1920s, he marked the beginning of a regular communication between these points. In 1924–1925, the Soviet ship “Stavropol” under the command of Milovzorov was frozen in ice of about 400 km from Chetyrehstolbovoy Island, where at that time was the expedition of R. Amundsen on board of “Maud.” At the request of Amundsen, Milovzorov left for his expedition a few barrels of lubricating oil which they needed, and later, when Amundsen was passing by the “Stavropol” wintering camp, these barrels were found by Amundsen’s expedition. In 1926, the same ship delivered to Wrangel Island the expedition led by G.A. Ushakov to build the first Soviet polar station. On the way back, the sailors raised the Soviet flag on Herald Island. In 1935, for the first time in one navigation on the regular cargo ship “Anadyr,” Milovzorov sailed the Northern Sea Route from Vladivostok to Antwerp, Belgium. In the following years, he worked at the Arctic Institute.
Reefs near the archipelago of Franz Josef Land and a bay in the Mawson Sea (Antarctica) were named after Milovzorov.