The Eastern Arctic Seas Encyclopedia

2016 Edition
| Editors: Igor S. Zonn, Andrey G. Kostianoy, Aleksandr V. Semenov

Lockwood Islands

Reference work entry
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-24237-8_310

Lockwood Islands – located on the north coast of Taymyr west of Cape Pronchishchev in the Bay of Maud, Laptev Sea, Taymyr A.O., Russia. They were first discovered in 1742 by S. Chelyuskin named in 1893 by the chief of the Norwegian Polar Expedition of 1893–1896 on the ship “Fram” F. Nansen in memory of one of the members of the American Polar Expedition of 1881–1884 (headed by A. Grili) Lieutenant James Lockwood (1852–1884), who reached then a record-breaking 83°24′N during his sled rides to the North Pole in April 1884. On modern maps they are shown as East Lockwood and West Lockwood islands by their position in the group of islands.

Copyright information

© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016