An island situated in the Chukchi Sea, 70 km to the east of Wrangel Island, Chukotka Autonomous District, Russia. The area is about 10 km2. The height reaches 364 m. In the northwest the islands end with a narrow (up to 70 m) sand and shingle spit. It is covered with tundra vegetation. It was discovered and named in 1849 by the participants of an English expedition on the ship “Herald” under the command of Captain Sir Henry Kellett aimed at rescuing of the lost expedition of the English Arctic explorer and traveler D. Franklin. It was then named after the ship. Hundred miles eastward from the island, there lies the Herald Bar 13.8 m deep, which is a dangerous area for navigation. The island is uninhabited. Since 1976 it has been a part of the natural preserve on Wrangel Island. In 2004 the island was included into the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
A submarine valley (trough) traversing the shelf of the Chukchi Sea. It lies along the meridian 175° W. The depth is up to 90 m.