First Lena Expedition
First Lena Expedition – organized in 1933 by the USSR Northern Sea Route Authority (NSRA) for delivery of goods to the mouth of the Lena River with their following transportation to the inner regions of Yakutia. The expedition under the command of B.V. Lavrov included a caravan of three cargo ships “Pravda,” “Volodarsky,” and “Comrade Stalin.” The ships “Volodarsky” and “Stalin” came to Tiksi where they were unloaded, and the ship “Pravda” delivered to Nordvik Bay an oil-prospecting expedition. The existing ice conditions forced the ships to spend the winter near Samuila Islands, a group of Komsomolskaya Pravda Islands. During the winter, the vessels were used as bases for field surveys of the Taymyr Peninsula, organized by the geologist N.N. Urvantsev. In August 1934, the icebreaker “Fyodor Litke” was sent on rescue and freed the ships from the ice captivity. This expedition was the next step after the Kara Expeditions to the east for the development of the Northern Sea Route.