Dvukh Pilotov Spit (Two Pilots Spit)
Dvukh Pilotov Spit (Two Pilots Spit) – located to the southeast of Cape Shmidt in the mouth of the Amguema River, Chukotka Autonomous District, Russia. The spit is 2–9 m high, which separated the Tenkergynpilgyn Lagoon from the sea, and is formed from sand and shingle and is covered by tundra vegetation in some places. Sometimes it is possible to see flotsam here. The outshore of the spit is low and shallow. It was named in honor of the two American pilots who died here in 1929. Famous polar pilot C. Eielson and attendant F. Borland set off to rescue the owner of the schooner “Nanuk” Olaf Swenson that was staying in the East Siberian Sea for winter. They commanded the plane “Hamilton” and set off in the autumn of 1929. The place of the plane crash was discovered by a famous polar pilot M.T. Slepnev. The dead bodies of the pilots were found only in 1930 by the sailors of the motorship “Stavropol.” C. Eielson participated in Wilkins’ flight over the polar basin and was the head of the aviation society “Alaska Airways.” In 1983 the Soviet motorship “Nina Sagaidak” sank opposite the spit.