Diagnosis and Management of the Cancer of the Uterus
Uterine cancer is the most common malignancy of the female genital tract. Treatment of uterine cancer is related to cell type, grade, and stage. However, the vast majority of uterine cancers will be low grade, early stage endometrial cancers with obesity being the primary risk factor associated with these cancers. Surgery is an important part of staging and management of uterine cancers.
KeywordsUterine cancer HNPCC Lynch syndrome Endometrial cancer Sarcoma Staging endometrial stromal cancer
- Amant F, Floquet A, Friedlander M, Kristensen G, Mahner S, Nam EJ, Powell MA, Ray-Coquard I, Siddiqui N, Sykes P, Westermann AM, Seddon B. Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup (GCIG) consensus review for endometrial stromal sarcoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(9 Suppl 3):S67–72.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Lynch syndrome. Practice Bulletin No. 147. Obstet Gynecol. 2014;124:1042–54.Google Scholar
- Cowden syndrome – Genetics Home Reference. 2014;1–7. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/cowden-syndrome. Accessed 20 Jan 14.
- Creutzberg CL, van Putten WL, Koper PC, Lybert ML, et al. Surgery and postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for patients with stage-1 endometrial carcinoma: multicentre randomised trial. PORTEC Study Group. Post Operative Radiation Therapy in Endometrial Carcinoma. Lancet. 2000;355:1404–11.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- D’Angelo E, Prat J. Uterine sarcomas: a review. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;1–9. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2009.09.023.Google Scholar
- Friedlander ML, Covens A, Glasspool RM, Hilpert F, Kristensen G, Kwon S, Selle F, Small W, Witteveen E, Russell P. Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup (GCIG) consensus review for mullerian adenosarcoma of the female genital tract. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(9 Suppl 3):S78–82.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Keys HM, Roberts JA, Brunetto VL, Zaino RJ, Spirtos NM, Bloss JD, Pearlman A, Bell JG. A phase III trial of surgery with or without adjunctive external pelvic radiation therapy in intermediate risk endometrial adenocarcinoma: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;92(3):744–51.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lynch syndrome – Genetics Home Reference. 2014;1–7. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lynch-syndrome. Accessed 20 Jan 14.Google Scholar
- NCCN. Uterine Neoplasm. 2012;1–63.Google Scholar
- Pautier P, Nam EJ, Provencher DM, Hamilton AL, Mangili G, Siddiqui NA, Westermann AM, Reed NS, Harter P, Ray-Coquard I. Gynecologic Cancer InterGroup (GCIG) consensus review for high-grade undifferentiated sarcomas of the uterus. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2014;24(9 Suppl 3):S73–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Retinoblastoma – Genetics Home Reference. 2014;1–4. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/retinoblastoma. Accessed 20 Jan 14.
- SEER. Cancer of the Endometrium – SEER Stat Fact Sheets. 2013. 1–10 http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/corp.html. Accessed 20 Jan 14.
- Walker JL, Piedmonte MR, Spirtos NM, Eisenkop SM, Schlaerth JB, Mannel RS, Barakat R, Pearl ML, Sharma SK. Recurrence and survival after random assignment to laparoscopy versus laparotomy for comprehensive surgical staging of uterine cancer: Gynecologic Oncology Group LAP2 Study. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(13):695–700.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar