- 190 Downloads
An audiogame is a digital game that relies solely or primarily on audio output. Most audiogames can be played by both visually impaired and sighted players.
While most digital games today heavily rely on sound in order to communicate information to the player, the role of audio in games is generally less significant than that of graphics (Collins and Kapralos 2012). Some digital games, however, invert this logic by either making graphics secondary to the audio or not using graphics at all, focusing on the sound instead. These are known as audiogames: games “fully playable by reliance on their audio output” (Karhulahti 2015).
For some game designers, stripping away the visual component of the game can be a way to experiment with the medium. Dark Room Sex Game(2008), a party rhythm game playable with the keyboard or Nintendo Wii’s Wiimote controller, is one example, focusing on audio and haptic feedback to simulate sexual...
- Araújo, M.C., Silva, A.R., Darin, T.G., de Castro, E.L., Andrade, R., de Lima, E.T., Sánchez, J., de C Filho, J.A., Viana, W.: Design and usability of a braille-based mobile audiogame environment. In: Proceedings of the 31st Annual ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 232–238. ACM, New York (2016)Google Scholar
- Collins, K., Kapralos, B.: Beyond the screen: what we can learn about game design from audio-based games. In: 5th International Conference on Computer Games, Multimedia and Allied Technology, Bali, Indonesia (2012)Google Scholar
- Friberg, J., Gärdenfors, D.: Audio games: new perspectives on game audio. In: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology, pp. 148–154. ACM, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- Karhulahti, V.-M.: Defining the videogame. Game Stud. 15, (2015)Google Scholar
- Matsuo, M., Sakajiri, M., Miura, T., Onishi, J., Ono, T.: Accessible action RPG for visually impaired gamers: development of a game software and a development environment for the visually impaired. Trans. Virtual Real. Soc. Jpn. 21, 303–312 (2016). https://doi.org/10.18974/tvrsj.21.2_303CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oldenburg, A.: Sonic mechanics: audio as gameplay. Game Stud. 13, (2013)Google Scholar
- Oren, M.A.: Speed sonic across the span: building a platform audio game. In: CHI’07 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems, pp. 2231–2236. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar