- 139 Downloads
The communication of information is central to many issues in global bioethics and so the justification for censorship is a key concern. This entry describes prudential and epistemic frameworks for the justification of censorship and explores their utility in light of prominent controversies in global bioethics.
KeywordsCensorship Free speech Autonomy Paternalism
- Aikin, K. J., Swasy, J. L., & Braman, A. C. (2004). Patient and physician attitudes and behaviors associated with DTC promotion of prescription drugs-summary of FDA survey research results. Food and Drug Administration Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research.http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/ResearchAreas/DrugMarketingAdvertisingandCommunicationsResearch/UCM152860.pdf
- Buchanan, A. E. (1978). Medical paternalism. Philosophy and Public Affairs, 7(4), 370–390.Google Scholar
- Food and Drug Administration. (2007). Improving public health through human drugs: Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/CDER/WhatWeDo/UCM121704.pdf. Accessed 19 Jan 2015.
- Health Care Complaints Commission. (2014). Public statement – Warning about the Australian Vaccination-skeptics Network, Inc. http://www.hccc.nsw.gov.au/Hearings---decisions/Public-statements-and-warnings/Public-statement---warning-about-the-Australian-Vaccination-skeptics-Network--Inc---AVN----formerly-known-as-Australian-Vaccination-Network-Inc-. Accessed 30 Oct 2014
- Herfst, S., Schrauwen, E. J., Linster, M., Chutinimitkul, S., de Wit, E., Munster, V. J., … Fouchier, R. A. (2012). Airborne transmission of influenza A/H5N1 virus between ferrets. Science, 336(6088), 1534–1541.Google Scholar
- Kaptchuk, T. J., Friedlander, E., Kelley, J. M., Sanchez, M. N., Kokkotou, E., Singer, J. P., … Lembo, A. J. (2010). Placebos without deception: A randomized controlled trial in irritable bowel syndrome. PLoS One, 5(12), e15591.Google Scholar
- Mill, J. (2012). On Liberty. Simon and Brown. www.simonandbrown.com
- Pellegrino, E. D., & Thomasma, D. C. (1988). For the patient’s good: The restoration of beneficence in health care. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Rawls, J. (1971). A theory of justice. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Scanlon, T. (1972). A theory of freedom of expression. Philosophy and Public Affairs, 1(2), 204–226.Google Scholar
- Ventola, C. L. (2011). Direct-to-consumer pharmaceutical advertising: Therapeutic or toxic? Pharmacy & Therapeutics, 36(10), 669–684.Google Scholar
- Yang, J. (2013). Mutant virus sparks bioethics debate. Toronto Star. http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/02/10/mutant_virus_sparks_bioethics_debate.html. Accessed 30 Oct 2014.