Living reference work entry
- 53 Downloads
Republic of Albania is located on the Balkan Peninsula in Southeast Europe (Figure 1). It is the 139th largest country in the world (28,748 km2 or 11,100 mi2) and has a population of 2.9 million. It held its first democratic multiparty elections in 1991 and is a potential candidate for European Union accession following the Thessaloniki European Council of 2003. While its economy is growing, the country remains one of the poorest in Europe, with a considerable informal economy and a lack of infrastructure.
KeywordsWorld Heritage Tourism Development Total Employment Informal Economy World Heritage Site
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- INSTAT 2014 Arrivals of Foreign Citizens by Mode of Travel 2013. Tirana: Instituti i Statistikes.Google Scholar
- Messina, S. 2013 Esperienze e Casi di Turismo Sostenibile: Le Politiche per il Turismo in Albania. Milan: Franco Angeli.Google Scholar
- MoTCYS 2007a Law No. 9734. Tirana: Tourism Ministry of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sport of Albania.Google Scholar
- MoTCYS 2007b Tourism Strategy 2007–2013. Tirana: Ministry of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sport of AlbaniaGoogle Scholar
- WTTC 2014 Travel and Tourism Economic Impact 2014, Albania. London: World Travel and Tourism Council.Google Scholar
© Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015