Query Processing in Deductive Databases
Most of the research work on deductive databases has concerned the Datalog language, a query language based on the logic programming paradigm which was designed and intensively studied for about a decade. Its origins date back to the beginning of logic programming, but it became prominent as a separate area around 1978, when Hervé Gallaire and Jack Minker organized a workshop on logic and databases. In this entry, the definition of the typical computation styles of Datalog will be given, the most important optimization types will be summarized, and some developments will be outlined.
The research on deductive databases was concentrated mostly between the mid-1980s and the mid-1990s. In those years, substantial efforts were made to merge Artificial Intelligence technologies with those of the database area, with the aim of building larg...
- 1.Bancilhon F, Maier D, Sagiv Y, Ullman JD. Magic sets and other strange ways to implement logic programs. In: Proceedings of 5th ACM SIGACT SIGMOD Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1986. p. 1–15. Available at: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1289/85b85556c30ad405863f2a34340049957616.pdf
- 4.Ullman JD. Principles of database and Knowledge-Base systems. IRockville: Computer Science Press; 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.Bocca JB. EDUCE: a marriage of convenience: Prolog and a Relational DBMS. In: Proceedings of Symposium in Logic Programming; 1986. p. 36–45.Google Scholar
- 6.Tsur S, Zaniolo C. LDL: a logic-based data language. In: Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 1986. p. 33–41. Available at: https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=671478.
- 7.Abiteboul S, Hull R, Vianu V. Foundations of 510 databases. Reading: Addison-Wesley; 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.Chakravarthy US, Minker J, Grant J. Semantic query optimization: additional constraints and control strategies. In: Proceedings of Expert Database Conference; 1986. p. 345–79.Google Scholar
- 11.Sacca D, Zaniolo C. Stable models and non-determinism in logic programs with negation. In: Proceedings of 9th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 1990. p. 205–217. Available at: https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=298572.
- 13.Behrend A. Soft stratification for magic set based query evaluation in deductive databases. In: Proceedings of 22nd ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 2003. p. 102–10. Available at: https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=773164.
- 15.W3C Member Submission. SWRL: a semantic Web rule language combining OWL and RuleML. 2004. Available at: http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/
- 16.Ameloot TJ. Declarative networking: recent theoretical work on coordination, correctness, and declarative semantics. SIGMOD Record. 2014;43(2):5–16. Available at: http://www.sigmod.org/publications/sigmod-record/1406/pdfs/03.principles.Ameloot.pdf.