- Nikos ArmenatzoglouAffiliated withDepartment of Computer Science and Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Email author
- , Dimitris PapadiasAffiliated withDepartment of Computer Science and Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
A geo-social network (GeoSN) is an online social network augmented by geographical information. Using a GeoSN application, usually through mobile devices, users can check in at places, find friends in the vicinity, etc. A GeoSN can be either a traditional online social network (e.g., Facebook (http://www.facebook.com), Twitter (http://www.twitter.com), and Google+ (https://plus.google.com)) that has been enhanced with check-in functionality or a pure GeoSN (e.g., Foursquare (http://www.foursquare.com)) focused on location-based services.
A GeoSN can be modeled as a social graph G = (V, E) where (i) a node v ∈ V represents a user, (ii) each edge (u, v) ∈ E indicates the friendship between two users v and u ∈ V, and (iii) each node is associated with a list of coordinates of the locations visited by the corresponding user. Similar to online social networks, the social graph can be either directed or undirected, while the edges can be either ...
Reference Work Entry Metrics
Date: 2014 (Latest)History
- 2014 (Latest)
- Geo-social Networks
- Reference Work Title
- Encyclopedia of Database Systems
- pp 1-4
- Online ISBN
- Springer New York
- Copyright Holder
- Springer Science+Business Media New York
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Georgia Institute of Technology College of Computing
- 2. University of Waterloo School of Computer Science
- Author Affiliations
- 3. Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.