Temporal Object-Oriented Databases
In a strict sense, a temporal object-oriented database is a database managed by an object-oriented database system able to explicitly deal with (possibly) several temporal dimensions of data. The managed temporal dimensions are usually valid and/or transaction times. In a wider sense, a temporal object-oriented database is a collection of data having some temporal aspect and managed by an object-oriented database system.
Research studies on time, temporal information, and object-oriented data started at the end of the 1980s and continued in the 1990s. From the seminal work by Clifford and Croker on objects in time , several different topics have been discussed. Segev and Rose studied both the modeling issues and the definition of suitable query languages ; Wuu and Dayal showed how to use an object-oriented data model to properly represent several temporal aspects of data ; Goralwalla et al. studied the adoption and extension of an...
- 1.Bertino E, Ferrari E, Guerrini G. A formal temporal object-oriented data model. In Advances in database technology, Proceeding of 5th International Conference on Extending Database Technology, 1996, p. 342–56. Proceedings of Advances in Database Technology – EDBT’96, Fifth International Conference on Extending Database Technology, Avignon, France, March 25–29, 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.Cattel RGG, Barry DK, editors. The object data standard: ODMG 3.0. Los Altos: Morgan Kaufmann; 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.Clifford J, Croker A. Objects in time. IEEE Data Eng Bull. 1988;11(4):11–8.Google Scholar
- 12.Rose E, Segev A. TOOSQL – a temporal object-oriented query language. In Proceeding of 12th International Conference on Entity-Relationship Approach, 1993, p. 122–136. LNCS 823.Google Scholar
- 13.Snodgrass RT. Temporal object-oriented databases: a critical comparison. In Modern database systems: the object model, interoperability and beyond. Kim, W (ed.). Addison-Wesley, New York, NY, USA 1995, p. 386–408.Google Scholar
- 14.Wuu GTJ, Dayal U. A uniform model for temporal and versioned object-oriented databases. In Temporal databases. Tansel, AU, Clifford, J , Godia, SK, Segev, A, Snodgrass, R (eds.), 1993, pp. 230–247.Google Scholar
- 15.Zimányi E, Minout M. Implementing conceptual spatio-temporal schemas in object-relational dbmss. In: Meersman R, Tari Z, Herrero P, editors. OTM workshops (2), vol. 4278. Montpellier: Springer LNCS; 2006. p. 1648–57.Google Scholar