HIV-1 Transmission Blocking Microbicides
Current available methods to prevent HIV infection, including condoms, male circumcision, and behavioral interventions, appear insufficient to control the epidemic. This may in part reflect the limited number of options for at-risk groups. Microbicides offer an important alternative strategy for preventing HIV sexual transmission. An effective microbicide should be a safe, acceptable, and affordable product delivered topically as a gel, capsule, tablet, film, or intravaginal ring at the genital (vaginal, penile) and/or gastrointestinal (colorectal) mucosa to prevent, or at least significantly reduce, sexual transmission of HIV and possibly other sexually transmitted infections.
Microbicides were originally conceived as affordable, over-the-counter products, not requiring a prescription, that offered protection against a broad spectrum of sexually transmitted diseases. First-generation candidate products included surfactants to disrupt the viral membrane,...
KeywordsMale Circumcision Viral Life Cycle Viral Replication Cycle Early Clinical Development CCR5 Inhibitor
- Anton PA, Cranston RD, Kashuba A, Hendrix CW, Bumpus NN, Richardson-Harman N, et al. RMP-02/MTN-006: A phase 1 rectal safety, acceptability, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic study of tenofovir 1% gel compared with oral tenofovir disoproxil fumarate. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012;28(11):1412–21.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- CONRAD. Safety and effectiveness of tenofovir gel in the prevention of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV-1) infection in young women and the effects of tenofovir gel on the incidence of Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-2) infection. 2011. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01386294.
- Herrera C, Shattock RJ. Candidate microbicides and their mechanisms of action. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2014;383:1–25.Google Scholar
- MTN. MTN statement on decision to discontinue use of tenofovir gel in VOICE, a major HIV prevention study in women. 2011. http://www.mtnstopshiv.org/node/3909.
- NIAID. Safety and effectiveness of tenofovir 1 % gel, tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, and emtricitabine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate tablets in preventing HIV in women. 2011. http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00705679.