A descriptor term used in the Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature.
Shallow, complex edge craters (Burba 1990).
Origin of Term
Flat, round dish or cup without a handle with a bulge in the middle; Latin (patella, dim.); from phiale: (1) libation vessel and (2) building or columned arcade around a fountain; ancient Greek.
“The term patera was originally applied to any large, flat-floored depression with irregular margins identified in Mariner 9 and Viking imagery and included volcanoes as well as impact craters” (Greeley and Spudis 1981). Over time, the sizes of several paterae have increased in the planetary nomenclature database from the sizes of the central depressions to the sizes of the entire edifices. In 2007, the sizes of these paterae have been adjusted to correspond only to the central depressions, and the entire constructs have been...
KeywordsCinder Cone Southern Highland Volcanic Crater Volcanic Terrain Lobate Deposit
- Alexopoulos JS, McKinnon WB (1994) Large impact craters and basins on Venus, with implications for ring mechanics on the terrestrial planets. In: Dressier BO, Grieve RAF, Sharpton VL (eds) Large meteorite impacts and planetary evolution. The Geological Society of America Special paper 294. Geological Society of America, Boulder, pp 29–50Google Scholar
- Blue J (2007) Martian patera sizes adjusted and new mons/tholus names introduced. USGS Astrogeology Science Center website. http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/HotTopics/index.php?/archives/300-Martian-Patera-Sizes-Adjusted-and-New-MonsTholus-Names-Introduced.html
- Crumpler LS, Aubele JC, Head III JW (n.d.) Volcanic and magmatic features on Venus: a global survey. In: The tabulated Magellan Venus volcanic feature catalog. http://www.planetary.brown.edu/planetary/databases/venus_cat.html
- D’Incecco P, Törmänen T, Helbert J, D’Amore M, Maturilli A (2011) Genetic processes behind calderas formation on Venus through a comparative study with terrestrial analogues. EPSC-DPS Joint Meeting 2011, EPSC-DPS2011-1167Google Scholar
- IAU (2014) Descriptor terms (Feature types). Gazetteer of planetary nomenclature. http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/DescriptorTerms
- Ivanov MA, Head JW (2006) Alba Patera, Mars: topography, structure, and evolution of a unique late Hesperian-early Amazonian shield volcano. J Geophys Res 111(E9), CiteID E09003Google Scholar
- Jaeger WL, Turtle EP, Keszthelyi LP, Radebaugh J, McEwen AS, Pappalardo RT (2003) Orogenic tectonism on Io. J Geophys Res 108:5093. doi:10.1029/2002JE001946, E8Google Scholar
- Krassilnikov AS, Head JW (2003) Calderas on Venus and Earth (I). Planet Earth: overview of calderas. Microsymposium 38, MS051Google Scholar