Living reference work entry
Fine-grained material accumulated in circle or small circular buttes.
A type of nonsorted patterned ground.
Circular features in periglacial zones on Earth (French 1996) with areas of heaves and troughs (Fig. 1). Their interior is characteristically vegetation-free or partially vegetated; however, they are usually surrounded by dense vegetation (Daanen et al. 2008; Raynolds et al. 2008) (e.g., tussocks, lichens, peat). Sometimes they display regular involution (festooning) (Allaby 2008).
KeywordsSoil Expand Unfrozen Water Periglacial Zone Regular Involution Frost Boil
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- Allaby M (2008) A dictionary of earth sciences, 3rd edn. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Daanen RP, Misra D, Epstein H, Walker D, Romanovsky V (2008) Simulating nonsorted circle development in arctic tundra ecosystems. J Geophys Res 113:G03S06. doi:10.1029/2008JG000682Google Scholar
- French HM (1996) The periglacial environment, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley-Longman, ReadingGoogle Scholar
- Harris SA, French HM, Heginbottom JA, Johnston GH, Ladanyi B, Sego DC, van Everdingen RO (eds) (1988) Glossary of permafrost and related ground-ice terms. Permafrost Subcommittee, National Research Council of Canada, Technical memorandum no 142Google Scholar
- Nicolsky DJ, Romanovsky VE, Tipenko GS, Walker DA (2008) Modeling biogeophysical interactions in nonsorted circles in the Low Arctic. J Geophys Res Biogeosci 113:1Google Scholar
- Peterson RA, Krantz WB (2008) Differential frost heave model for patterned ground formation: corroboration with observations along a North American arctic transect. J Geophys Res 113:G03S04. doi:10.1029/2007JG000559Google Scholar
- Raynolds MK, Walker DA, Munger CA, Vonlanthen CM, Kade AN (2008) A map analysis of patterned ground along a North American Arctic Transect. J Geophys Res 113:G03S03. doi:10.1029/2007JG000512Google Scholar
- van Everdingen RO (1998) Multi-language glossary of permafrost and related ground-ice terms, Revised edition, 2005. International Permafrost Association, CalgaryGoogle Scholar
- Walker DA, Epstein HE, Romanovsky VE, Ping CL et al (2008) Arctic patterned-ground ecosystems: a synthesis of field studies and models along a North American Arctic Transect. J Geophys Res Biogeosci 113:G03S01. doi:10.1029/2007JG000504Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media New York 2014