Rank-Aware Query Processing
Top-k Query Processing
Rank-aware query processing refers to the efficient processing of a top-k query taking into account the ranking requirements on output results. A naïve way to process a top-k query is to calculate the full set of results and then sort them based on the ranking function; the top-k results are presented as the final query answers. Such a naïve materialize-then-sort scheme can be prohibitively expensive. Integrating top-k queries in SQL query engines requires addressing the challenge of making an RDBMS rank-aware. This requires introducing new constructs in the whole system including the data model, algebra, query operators, and query optimization techniques.
The need for rank-aware query processing arose since the introduction of top-k queries with score aggregation and rank joins to the database community. Fagin et al.  first introduced the problem of ranking a database of objects, given several rankings of the...
- 3.Finger J, Polyzotis N. Robust and efficient algorithms for rank join evaluation. In: Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 2009. p. 415–28.Google Scholar
- 6.Li C, Chang KC-C, Ilyas IF, Song S. Ranksql: query algebra and optimization for relational top-k queries. In: Proceedings of the 2005 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data; 2005. p. 131–42.Google Scholar
- 7.Li C, Soliman MA, Chang KC-C, Ilyas IF. Ranksql: supporting ranking queries in relational database management systems. In: Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2005. p. 1342–45.Google Scholar
- 8.Natsev A, chi Chang Y, Smith JR, Li C-S, Vitter JS. Supporting incremental join queries on ranked inputs. In: Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases; 2001.Google Scholar
- 10.Schnaitter K, Polyzotis N. Evaluating rank joins with optimal cost. In: Proceedings of the 27th ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems; 2008. p. 43–52.Google Scholar