SQL-Based Temporal Query Languages
More than two dozen extensions to the relational data model have been proposed that support the storage and retrieval of time-referenced data. These models timestamp tuples or attribute values, and the timestamps used include time points, time periods, and finite unions of time periods, termed temporal elements.
A temporal query language is defined in the context of a specific data model. Most notably, it supports the specification of queries on the specific form of time-referenced data provided by its data model. More generally, it enables the management of time-referenced data.
Different approaches to the design of a temporal extension to the Structured Query Language (SQL) have emerged that yield temporal query languages with quite different design properties.
A number of past events and activities that included the temporal database community at large had a significant impact on the evolution of temporal query languages. The 1987 IFIP TC 8/WG 8.1...
- 3.Clifford J, Tuzhilin A, editors. Recent advances in temporal databases. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Temporal Databases; 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.Date CJ, Darwen H, Lorentzos N, editors. Temporal data and the relational model. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers; 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Etzion O, Jajodia S, Sripada S, editors. Temporal databases: research and practice. Springer, Volume 1399 of lecture notes in computer science; 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Rolland C, Bodart F, Lèonard M, editors. Temporal aspects in information systems. In: Proceedings of the IFIP TC 8/WG 8.1 Working Conference on Temporal Aspects in Information Systems; 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Snodgrass RT, editor. Proceeding of the International Workshop on an Infrastructure for Temporal Databases; 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.Snodgrass RT, editor. The TSQL2 temporal query language. Kluwer; 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.Snodgrass RT. Developing time-oriented database applications in SQL. San Francisco: Morgan Kaufmann Publishers; 1999.Google Scholar
- 11.Tansel A, Clifford J, Gadia S, Jajodia S, Segev A, Snodgrass RT. Temporal databases: theory, design, and implementation. Benjamin/Cummings: Publishing Company, Inc.; 1993.Google Scholar