Real and Synthetic Test Datasets
Spatio-temporal benchmarking; Spatio-temporal data generator
In the area of mobile and ubiquitous data management, real and synthetic test datasets are used for experimental investigations of performance and robustness. Typical applications are the examination of access methods for spatio-temporal databases and the simulation of mobility for location-based services. Besides synthetic and real datasets, combinations of these two types of data are often used that integrate a predefined infrastructure.
Beginning in the mid 1990s, the development of algorithms and data structures for spatio-temporal data took place of the research in the field of pure (geo-)spatial applications. Previous spatial test datasets were not sufficient for investigating the performance and robustness of those algorithms and data structures. Consequently, first data generators for spatio-temporal test datasets were published in the end of the 1990s.
- 2.Jensen CS. Special issue on infrastructure for research in spatio-temporal query processing. Bull Tech Comm Data Eng. 2003;26(2):51–5.Google Scholar
- 3.Jensen CS, Lahrmann H, Pakalnis S, Runge J. The INFATI Data. 2004. Available at: http://oldwww.cs.aau.dk/research/DP/tdb/TimeCenter/TimeCenterPublications/TR-79.pdf.
- 4.Kaufman J, Myllymaki J, Jackson J. City simulator. IBM alphaworks emerging technologies. 2001. Available at: https://secure.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/techs/citysimulator.
- 5.Krajzewicz D, Hertkorn G, Rössel C, Wagner P. SUMO (Simulation of Urban MObility): an open-source traffic simulation. In: Proceedings of the 4th Middle East Symposium on Simulation and Modelling; 2002. p. 183–7.Google Scholar
- 6.Nascimento MA, Pfoser D, Theodoridis Y. Synthetic and real spatiotemporal datasets. Q Bull IEEE TC Data Eng. 2003;26(2):26–32.Google Scholar