Radiopharmaceuticals in Molecular Imaging
Molecular imaging (MI) is a biomedical research discipline enabling the visualization, characterization, and quantification of biological processes taking place at the cellular and subcellular levels within intact living subjects including patients. MI typically includes two- or three-dimensional imaging as well as quantification over time. The MI techniques may include radiotracer imaging/nuclear medicine (such as positron emission tomography (PET) and single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS), optical imaging, ultrasound, and others.
Radiopharmaceuticals are drug molecules (containing radioactive atoms or radioisotopes) useful for noninvasive imaging studies or radionuclide therapy.
Nuclear medicine (PET and SPECT) uses...
KeywordsPositron Emission Tomography Molecular Imaging Positron Emission Tomography Tracer Alkali Metal Halide TSPO Expression
- Mankoff DA (2007) A definition of molecular imaging. J Nucl Med 48:18N and 21NGoogle Scholar
- Ruth TJ (2003) Accelerators available for isotope production. In: Welch MJ, Redvanley CS (eds) Handbook of radiopharmaceuticals, radiochemistry and applications. Weily, New York, pp 71–86Google Scholar
- Schlyer DJ (2003) Production of radionuclides in accelerators. In: Welch MJ, REdvanley CS (eds) Handbook of radiopharmaceuticals, radiochemistry and applications. Weily, New York, pp 1–70Google Scholar
- Vallabhajosula S (2009) Radiopharmaceuticals for PET and SPECT. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Journal of Labelled Compounds and Radiopharmaceuticals, Special Issue: C-11 and F-18 chemistry devoted to molecular probes for imaging the brain with PET. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jlcr.v56.3-4/issuetoc
- Kepe V, Bordelon Y, Boxer A (2013) PET Imaging of neuropathology in tauopathies: progressive supranuclear palsy. Alzheimers Dis 36:145–153Google Scholar
- Molecular Imaging and Contrast Agent Database (MICAD). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- Xia C-F, Arteaga J, Chen G (2013) [18F]T807, a novel tau positron emission tomography imaging agent for Alzheimer’s disease. Alzheimer Dement 9(6):666–76Google Scholar