Low-Voltage-Activated Calcium Channels
Low-voltage-activated (LVA) calcium channels are a class of voltage-gated calcium (Ca2+) channels that exhibit a high probability of opening at hyperpolarized membrane voltages (negative to −50 mV). LVA channels consist of a Cav3 family, of which there are three isoforms (Cav3.1 (α1G), 3.2 (α1H), 3.3 (α1I)). Cav3 channels exhibit a low single-channel conductance and rapid inactivation, resulting in “tiny” and “transient” currents, often termed T-type current or IT. T-type calcium channels were first recognized for their contribution to burst depolarizations and pacemaker activity in specific neurons but are now known to influence a wide range of cell outputs (Huguenard 1996; Perez-Reyes 2003; Yunker and McEnery 2003).
Several families of Ca2+ channels are expressed in neurons, which can be broadly classified in two groups based on voltage dependence. High-voltage-activated (HVA) Ca2+channels show...
KeywordsWindow Current Cav3 Channel Conductance Density Cerebellar Nuclear Neuron Burst Firing Mode
- Burgess DE, Crawford O, Delisle BP, Satin J (2002) Mechanism of inactivation gating of human T-type (low-voltage activated) calcium channels. Biophys J 82(4):1894–1906Google Scholar
- Engbers JD, Anderson D, Asmara H, Rehak R, Mehaffey WH, Hameed S, McKay BE, Kruskic M, Zamponi GW, Turner RW (2012) Intermediate conductance calcium-activated potassium channels modulate summation of parallel fiber input in cerebellar Purkinje cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:2601–2606PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Iftinca MB, McKay E, Snutch TP, McRory JE, Turner RW, Zamponi GW (2006) Temperature dependence of T-type calcium channel gating. Neuroscience 142(4):1031–1042Google Scholar
- Molineux ML, McRory JE, McKay BE, Hamid J, Mehaffey WH, Rehak R, Snutch TP, Zamponi GW, Turner RW (2006) Specific T-type calcium channel isoforms are associated with distinct burst phenotypes in deep cerebellar nuclear neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5555–5560PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rehak R, Bartoletti TM, Engbers JDT, Berecki G, Turner RW, Zamponi GW (2013) Low voltage activation of KCa1.1 current by Cav3-KCa1.1 complexes. PLoS ONE 8(4):e61844Google Scholar