Phospholipase A2 (PLA2) hydrolyzes the sn-2 position of glycerophospholipids to yield fatty acids and lysophospholipids. In the view of signal transduction, the PLA2 reaction has been considered to be of particular importance since arachidonic acid, one of the polyunsaturated fatty acids released by PLA2, is metabolized by cyclooxygenases and lipoxygenases to the potent lipid mediators prostaglandins and leukotrienes, which are often referred to as eicosanoids. In addition, lysophospholipids or their metabolites, such as lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) and platelet-activating factor (PAF), represent another class of lipid mediators. These lipid mediators exert numerous biological actions through their cognate G protein-coupled receptors on target cells. PLA2 has also been implicated in membrane glycerophospholipid remodeling, thereby contributing to cellular homeostasis.
KeywordsLipid Mediator Transverse Aortic Constriction Arachidonic Acid Release Neurodegeneration With Brain Iron Accumulation Neuroaxonal Dystrophy
This work was supported by AMED-CREST and JSPS KAKENHI (16H02613 and 15H05905).
- Bao S, Song H, Wohltmann M, Ramanadham S, Jin W, Bohrer A, et al. Insulin secretory responses and phospholipid composition of pancreatic islets from mice that do not express Group VIA phospholipase A2 and effects of metabolic stress on glucose homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:20958–73.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Mancuso DJ, Kotzbauer P, Wozniak DF, Sims HF, Jenkins CM, Guan S, et al. Genetic ablation of calcium-independent phospholipase A2γ leads to alterations in hippocampal cardiolipin content and molecular species distribution, mitochondrial degeneration, autophagy, and cognitive dysfunction. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:35632–44.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Sato H, Kato R, Isogai Y, Saka G, Ohtsuki M, Taketomi Y, et al. Analyses of group III secreted phospholipase A2 transgenic mice reveal potential participation of this enzyme in plasma lipoprotein modification, macrophage foam cell formation, and atherosclerosis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:33483–97.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Song H, Wohltmann M, Bao S, Ladenson JH, Semenkovich CF, Turk J. Mice deficient in group VIB phospholipase A2 (iPLA 2γ) exhibit relative resistance to obesity and metabolic abnormalities induced by a western diet. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;298:E1097–114.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tucker DE, Ghosh M, Ghomashchi F, Loper R, Suram S, John BS, et al. Role of phosphorylation and basic residues in the catalytic domain of cytosolic phospholipase A 2α in regulating interfacial kinetics and binding and cellular function. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:9596–611.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar