Phosphorylation and dephosphorylation of eukaryotic initiation factor 2α (eIF2α) control the initiation of mRNA translation in eukaryotic cells, particularly in response to cellular stress. Early studies on the role of initiation factors in translational control date back to the 1960s. In 1968, Miller and Schweet reported a decrease in reticulocyte ribosomal activity upon salt washing (Miller and Schweet 1968). This first observation led to the isolation of translation initiation factors from rabbit reticulocytes and liver ribosomes (Shafritz et al. 1970). Some years later, it was shown that the eukaryotic translation initiation factor eIF2 consists of three subunits: eIF2α, eIF2β, and eIF2γ (Schreier et al. 1977). In the same year, phosphorylation...
KeywordsEndoplasmic Reticulum Stress Unfold Protein Response Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factor Integrate Stress Response Hypochromic Normocytic Anemia
The work in our group is funded by Breast Cancer Campaign grant (2010NovPR13), Health Research Board (grant number HRA-POR-2014-643), Belgium Grant (IAP 7/32), a Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) grant co-funded under the European Regional Development Fund (grant Number 13/RC/2073), and EU H2020 MSCA ITN-675448 (TRAINERS). K.M. is funded by an Irish Research Council Fellowship (grant number GOIPD/2014/53).
- Colthurst DR, Campbell DG, Proud CG. Structure and regulation of eukaryotic initiation factor eIF-2. Sequence of the site in the alpha subunit phosphorylated by the haem-controlled repressor and by the double-stranded RNA-activated inhibitor. Eur J Biochem/FEBS. 1987;166:357–63.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dhaliwal S, Hoffman DW. The crystal structure of the N-terminal region of the alpha subunit of translation initiation factor 2 (eIF2alpha) from Saccharomyces cerevisiae provides a view of the loop containing serine 51, the target of the eIF2alpha-specific kinases. J Mol Biol. 2003;334:187–95.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ernst V, Levin DH, Leroux A, London IM. Site-specific phosphorylation of the alpha subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor eIF-2 by the heme-regulated and double-stranded RNA-activated eIF-2 alpha kinases from rabbit reticulocyte lysates. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1980;77:1286–90.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hart LS, Cunningham JT, Datta T, Dey S, Tameire F, Lehman SL, Qiu B, Zhang H, Cerniglia G, Bi M, Li Y, Gao Y, Liu H, Li C, Maity A, Thomas-Tikhonenko A, Perl AE, Koong A, Fuchs SY, Diehl JA, Mills IG, Ruggero D, Koumenis C. ER stress-mediated autophagy promotes Myc-dependent transformation and tumor growth. J Clin Investig. 2012;122:4621–34.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Koumenis C, Naczki C, Koritzinsky M, Rastani S, Diehl A, Sonenberg N, Koromilas A, Wouters BG. Regulation of protein synthesis by hypoxia via activation of the endoplasmic reticulum kinase PERK and phosphorylation of the translation initiation factor eIF2alpha. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:7405–16.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Pakos-Zebrucka K, Koryga I, Mnich K, Ljuic M, Samali A, Gorman AM. The integrated stress response. EMBO Rep. 2016;17:1374–95. EMBO Reports.Google Scholar