A fundamental process in embryonic development is the establishment of body axes, including the anteroposterior (A-P) axis, the dorsoventral (D-V) axis, and the left-right (L-R) axis. Back to 1940s, when signaling pathways and molecular mechanisms behind axis formation remained a mystery, a spontaneous mutation called Kinky (FuKi) at the mouse Fused locus attracted attention due to its impact on a variety of developmental processes, especially on the formation of embryonic A-P axis(Gluecksohn-Schoenheimer 1949). Around 1990s, two other spontaneous alleles of the mouse Fused gene, Fused (FuFu) and Knobbly (FuKb), and one transgenic insertional mutant FuTg1 were identified (Jacobs-Cohen et al. 1984; Perry et al. 1995; Mary et al. 1996), all showing defects in the formation of embryonic axis. These Axinnull mutants normally led to lethality at embryonic day 8–10, and in addition to causing embryonic axis duplications, they also led to...
KeywordsLeukemia Acid Number Oligomer Ligase Hepatoblastoma
- Fiedler M, Mendoza-Topaz C, Rutherford TJ, Mieszczanek J, Bienz M. Dishevelled interacts with the DIX domain polymerization interface of Axin to interfere with its function in down-regulating beta-catenin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011;108:1937–42. doi:10.1073/pnas.1017063108.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ikeda S, Kishida S, Yamamoto H, Murai H, Koyama S, Kikuchi A. Axin, a negative regulator of the Wnt signaling pathway, forms a complex with GSK-3beta and beta-catenin and promotes GSK-3beta-dependent phosphorylation of beta-catenin. EMBO J. 1998;17:1371–84. doi:10.1093/emboj/17.5.1371.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Li Q, He Y, Wei L, Wu X, Wu D, Lin S, et al. AXIN is an essential co-activator for the promyelocytic leukemia protein in p53 activation. Oncogene. 2011;30:1194–204. doi:10.1038/onc.2010.499.Google Scholar
- Lyon MF, Rastan S, Brown SDM, editors. Genetic variants and strains of the laboratory mouse. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1996.Google Scholar
- Polakis P. Wnt signaling in cancer. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2012;4. doi:10.1101/cshperspect.a008052.Google Scholar
- Waaler J, Machon O, Tumova L, Dinh H, Korinek V, Wilson SR, et al. A novel tankyrase inhibitor decreases canonical Wnt signaling in colon carcinoma cells and reduces tumor growth in conditional APC mutant mice. Cancer Res. 2012;72:2822–32. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-11-3336.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar