- 191 Downloads
One of the first comprehensive guidelines to care of individuals with autism and related disorder, the Practice Parameters of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry first appears in 1999 (Volkmar et al. 1999) with recommendations for ascertainment and screening, diagnosis, and clinical care. The second version (Volkmar et al. 2014) appeared 15 years later and provided updated guidance for practioners. The original version synthesized available evidence in making recommendations for care anticipating some of the findings and recommendations made by the National Research Council 2 years later (National Research Council 2001).
The initial version was intended to aide in the diagnosis and care and treatment of individuals with autism and related disorder. It provided an overview of the assessment and treatment recommendations with an emphasis on evidence-based treatment practices based on available scientific research. It also...
KeywordsAACAP Practice Parameters Multiple Care Providers Medical Home Model Sign Guidelines Volkmar
References and Reading
- McClure, I. (2014). Developing and implementing practice guidelines. In Handbook of autism and pervasive developmental disorders, volume 2: Assessment, interventions, and policy (4th ed., pp. 1014–1035). Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- National Research Council. (2001). Educating young children with autism. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Volkmar, F., Cook, E., Jr., Pomeroy, J., Realmuto, G., & Tanguay, P. (1999). Summary of the practice parameters for the assessment and treatment of children, adolescents, and adults with autism and other pervasive developmental disorders. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 38(12), 1611–1616.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Volkmar, F., Siegel, M., Woodbury-Smith, M., King, B., McCracken, J., & State, M. (2014). Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 53(2), 237–257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2013.10.013.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wilson, C., Roberts, G., Gillan, N., Ohlsen, C., Robertson, D., & Zinkstok, J. (2014). The NICE guideline on recognition, referral, diagnosis and management of adults on the autism spectrum. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disabilities, 8(1), 3–14. https://doi.org/10.1108/AMHID-05-2013-0035.CrossRefGoogle Scholar