Diversity and Distribution of Marine Microbial Eukaryotes
Marine microbial eukaryotes (MME) are morphologically, phylogenetically, and functionally diverse. The term protist is often used but not a valid taxonomic classification (Adl et al. 2005, 2007), and evolutionary relationships among MME at the highest taxonomic ranks remain controversial.
Functionally, they span all trophic levels, with phototrophic, heterotrophic, and mixotrophic taxa, where mixotrophic taxa are able to use both photosynthesis and heterotrophy as sources for carbon and energy. Taxonomically MME are found among all major branches of the eukaryotic tree of life, with the exception, at least up until now, of the Excavata (Adl et al. 2012). This taxonomic and functional diversity is also manifest in morphological diversity over several microscopic scales, depending on the group.
Unassignable taxa: Taxa that do not fit within descriptions based on standard taxonomy. In the case of gene sequences, this occurs when the sequence in question shows little homology with other...
KeywordsFiltration Chlorophyll Siliceous Fractionation Photosynthesis
- Adl SM, Simpson AGB, Farmer MA, Andersen RA, Anderson OR, Barta JR, Bowser SS, Brugerolle G, Fensome RA, Fredericq S, James TY, Karpov S, Kugrens P, Krug J, Lane CE, Lewis LA, Lodge J, Lynn DH, Mann DG, McCourt RM, Mendoza L, Moestrup O, Mozley-Standridge SE, Nerad TA, Shearer CA, Smirnov AV, Spiegel FW, Taylor M. The new higher level classification of eukaryotes with emphasis on the taxonomy of protists. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2005;52:399–451.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Adl SM, Leander BS, Simpson AGB, Archibald JM, Anderson OR, Bass D, Bowser SS, Brugerolle G, Farmer MA, Karpov S, Kolisko M, Lane CE, Lodge DJ, Mann DG, Meisterfeld R, Mendoza L, Moestrup O, Mozley-Standridge SE, Smirnov AV, Spiegel F. Diversity, nomenclature, and taxonomy of protists. Syst Biol. 2007;56:684–9.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Adl SM, Simpson AGB, Lane CE, Lukes J, Bass D, Bowser SS, Brown MW, Burki F, Dunthorn M, Hampl V, Heiss A, Hoppenrath M, Lara E, le Gall L, Lynn DH, McManus H, Mitchell EAD, Mozley-Stanridge SE, Parfrey LW, Pawlowski J, Rueckert S, Shadwick L, Schoch CL, Smirnov A, Spiegel FW. The revised classification of eukaryotes. J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2012;59:429–93.PubMedCentralPubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Amaral-Zettler LA, McCliment EA, Ducklow HW, Huse SM. A method for studying protistan diversity using massively parallel sequencing of V9 hypervariable regions of small-subunit ribosomal RNA genes. Plos ONE. 2009;4.Google Scholar
- Raven JA, Finkel ZV, Irwin AJ. Picophytoplankton: bottom-up and top-down controls on ecology and evolution. Vie Et Milieu-Life Environ. 2005;55:209–15.Google Scholar
- Seenivasan R, Sausen N, Medlin LK, Melkonian M. Picomonas judraskeda gen. et sp. nov.: The first identified member of the Picozoa Phylum nov., a widespread group of picoeukaryotes, formerly known as ‘picobiliphytes’. PLoS ONE 2013;8(3):e59565. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0059565.Google Scholar